Saturday, August 10, 2013
Paris Buses
Going on an adventure in Paris sometimes involves riding the bus. I've learned to expect extra excitement whenever I step onto a bus. I search maps, bus schedules and routes to my destination. Thankful that I rarely am on a schedule or in a hurry, I walk to the bus stop and wait. This morning, I noticed the street was being resurfaced-no number 92! There was an alternate route that I didn't know how to get to. I walked 5 or 6 blocks to the end of construction and caught number 92 to the Marché Saxe-Breteuil which is an open air food market. Lots of fresh vegetables, fish and cheeses. Coming back, I rode number 28 with no problems.
Yesterday, I went to Mussé D'Orsay on bus 63-no problem except orienting myself when I stepped off the bus. After my museum visit, I turned the wrong way for bus 63, walked all the way around the museum, and took bus 69. All was well because I know bus 69. The thing is, both Metros and buses sometimes stop in the middle of the route and have everyone get off. Then, they merrily drive away with no explanation that I can understand.
No problem, I'll just wait here for the next bus 69 to stop. OK, on the next one, right direction, good seat, know my stop, nice French lady next to me. She starts talking about the route the bus was taking and sure enough, it didn't look right. No stops posted on the electronic board! A Japanese tourist was frantically dashing around the bus trying to figure out which was his stop. I surely understood his anxiety! I was able to get off at my stop and walk.
The walking is good for me, right? Maybe I'll just walk to the fabric market in Montmartre when I go next week. If I see a bus going my way, perhaps I'll hop on for the next adventure!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment