I think there's a heat wave in Paris. We are living on the fourth floor(this means fifth floor in America) on the west side of the church. We have to close the windows and shades after lunch to keep the sun out. Thank the good Lord there is air conditioning!
I went shopping yesterday to buy a sundress and sandals. This is how it's done here. Get all pretty, then find a bus route to where you want to shop. I wanted to ride Bus 42 to the Opera stop. I walked 5 minutes to where I thought the bus stop was. It was not there. I turned around, walked back and finally found the right bus going in the right direction.
It was a great ride across Paris-crossing Champs-Elysee, going by lovely gardens, and a view of the Arc de Triumph.
I missed the Opera stop and got off at the next one which was the one I needed. Galerie Lafayette was straight ahead! It is so huge and gorgeous inside, like a hybrid of a mall and a huge department store in Art Deco style. Every little section is one brand with its own sales people, dressing rooms, and check-out. The sales people are so helpful and kind. One young lady helped me determine my size-42 for a dress and 38 for shoes!! The summer sale is going on and there are deals to be found! I bought a pretty cotton sundress that was made in France. I'm so much cooler now.
I decided to have a gallette(savory crepe) and a sweet crepe for lunch. A French lady sat beside me and we talked, mostly in English because she is traveling to L.A. in October and wanted to practice. It was such fun talking to her and using a little French.
Then I had to locate the bus home. At least, this time I walked in the right direction for about three blocks when I came to the stop for good old Bus 42! Another beautiful ride home and a five minute walk back to the church.
This was my first solo trip across Paris and I am so pleased with all I accomplished and learned. It is almost always beautiful and exciting to do even mundane things in Paris. Maybe that's true when you are in any foreign city.
I'm loving my stay here immensely and know the time will fly with many things left undone. However, I plan to enjoy as much as I can. I'll take you on a food shopping trip next time!
No comments:
Post a Comment